Debt Questions

Your forum to ask and reply to questions relating to UK debt.
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Is MBNA linked with Abbey?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 am 
Forum Recruit

I presently owe money to 11 creditors including MBNA and may well go for a DMP as a means of sorting things out. I have been advised to open a bank account not linked with any of my creditors so as to avoid offsetting.

About the only major bank I don't owe anything to is Abbey but I've read that MBNA used to be involved in Abbey branded credit cards. I've done lots of searches but have so far been unable to establish for certain whether MBNA still have any link with Abbey. Anyone know?

Post subject: Re: Is MBNA linked with Abbey?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:22 pm 
Site Admin

MBNA is not associated with Abbey.

Tim

Want to talk to someone confidentially, without obligation and free of charge?
Abbreviations used in DQF
CRF Contacts

My advice is guidance only, if you want the law then consult a lawyer!
(c) All Spelling mistakes are my own design, infringement of them may result me sulking!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:12 pm 
Forum Regular

mbna is not linked with abbey any more they did used to issue credit cards for them ,however santander now owns abbey they are not linked with mbna in anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:48 pm 
100 Club

The confusion could arise from, whilst now Abbey issue their own credit cards , and no longer use MBNA for this service. Those accounts that had the affinity card with Abbey serviced by MBNA still receive statements, letters and cards with the (old Abbey Logo)

Yes I agree that they are no longer connected and do not pass information to each other in respect of offsetting

This is only from my experience until I went BR a few weeks ago, However I had a letter from them last week, MBNA, which was on headed Abbey Logo paper.

Its only in the last year that Abbey stopped the facility to see your credit card account with MBNA on the Abbey Banking website.

However you are free to apply for an Abbey Account and your debt to MBNA will not be offset against any credit balance that you may have with Abbey. (unless Santander buys Bank of America... Who knows?

Debt Collection Agents are like nappies, They should be changed regularly and for the same reason....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:11 pm 
Master-Poster

I had a Basic Bank Account with Abbey which I opened before going on a DMP with Payplan.

I also owed money to MBNA via an Abbey Credit Card and this didn't affect my application.

I switched to Yorkshire Bank (Only related to Clydesdale Bank at the time and Australian owned) while in my DMP.

The problem with the Abbey Basic Account was you only got a Cashcard not a Debit Card which I get with Yorkshire Bank. This was a pain :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:30 am 
Forum Recruit

sans wrote:
However I had a letter from them last week, MBNA, which was on headed Abbey Logo paper.

Its only in the last year that Abbey stopped the facility to see your credit card account with MBNA on the Abbey Banking website.

The headed paper is slightly worrying!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:38 pm 
Forum Recruit

I have now opened an account with Abbey (Yorkshire/Clydesdale bank wouldn't have me...) but must admit I am still a little worried by the past connection between Abbey and MBNA, especially given Sans' mention of the headed paper...

I'm about to start an DMP but have just been paid in advance for 4 month's work - I'm a musician and the payment is for a recording project I'm about to undertake. In addition to this, I've also been advanced a sum which will be used to pay other musicians who will be contributing to the project. It is essential this whole sum can be kept 'safe' from creditors as half of it is not mine and the rest is to be my wages for the next 4 months.

Sorry for going over previous ground, but to those posters who stated that MBNA and Abbey are now not connected: Are you 100% sure there is no possibility at all of my MBNA debt being taken from my Abbey account? Please forgive my jitters...

I hope someone can put my mind at rest.

Thanks!

Last edited by DOWN_BUT_NOT_OUT on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:45 pm 
Ultimate-Poster

Why don't you open an on line savings account and put the money in there, might as well have some interest from it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:50 pm 
Ultimate-Poster

I'm always frightened of putting my money into ANY account, in case one of my creditors can get hold of it. With banks merging and credit cards changing hands(goldfish and morgan stanley are now owned by barclaycard), I'm always frightened that a bank could Off-Set if I owed them money on a credit card and the bank acquired the debt.
My money(what little their is) is hidden in my wife's knickers ? NO, NO !! not the ones that she's wearing - the ones in her knicker drawer. - The black ones right at the back, under her corset.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:41 pm 
Ultimate-Poster

Tut tut naughty chandjay..........

I changed my bank account from Abbey to Halifax nearly 3 years ago when I started my DMP, had no reason to think at that time I had any conncection with Halifax. I have the Easycash and 2 savings accounts with them.
Little did I know that my Sainsbury CC amongst others were a part of Halifax. Only just realised this and there was 'a lot' of money in there at one time. Still got the accounts but very little goes in there, I use it mainly to transfer to to use the Visa card.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:59 pm 
Forum Recruit

chandjay wrote:
My money(what little their is) is hidden in my wife's knickers

:shock: lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:08 am 
Forum Recruit

DOWN_BUT_NOT_OUT wrote:
I have now opened an account with Abbey but must admit I am still a little worried by the past connection between Abbey and MBNA, especially given Sans' mention of the headed paper...

I'm about to start an DMP but have just been paid in advance for 4 month's work... In addition to this, I've also been advanced a sum which will be used to pay other musicians who will be contributing to the project. It is essential this whole sum can be kept 'safe' from creditors as half of it is not mine and the rest is to be my wages for the next 4 months.

.... to those posters who stated that MBNA and Abbey are now not connected: Are you 100% sure there is no possibility at all of my MBNA debt being taken from my Abbey account? Please forgive my jitters...

Can anyone put my mind at rest? I can't help but worry about this... Very sorry to ask for confirmation of what's already been stated... please don't take offence! It would be an absolute disaster if the above-mentioned sum was taken by MBNA...

Another bank who I believe are not linked with any of my creditors are HSBC. Could anyone confirm this? My creditors are:

Barclaycard
Post Office
Nationwide
MBNA
NatWest
Coop
RBS
Halifax
Citi
Black Horse
Zopa

:)