Debt Questions

Your forum to ask and reply to questions relating to UK debt.
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 7 days' notice: Scotcall Doorstep collection letter
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:32 pm 
Forum Recruit

Hi

I previously posted about getting a letter from Aktiv Kapital regarding a debt that I do not owe (my husband too). :cry:

Many years ago (6 or 7, perhaps longer), I paid off a credit agreement with Northern Electric for a video recorder I bought. Obviously it was less than the amount I would have paid if the agreement had run it's course (interest). It was obviously paid for, as the monthly payments were no longer requested from my bank after we had paid. It is so long ago that I would struggle to find a bank statement with payments on (and I keep bank statements for 6 years!

For some reason, a couple of years after we paid it, when we let CCCS take over our debts, this rematerialised and the CCCS started paying it out of the monthly lump sum we gave them. We don't know where it came from and I can only summise that the discrepancy between the settlement amount they gave us and the price we would have paid of the full 48 months was not wiped from their accounts.

We disputed this with Clydesdale (who bought Northern Electric's accounts) and I thought it was sorted, but obviously not as it has been passed from agency to agency and now they say they are coming to my home. I am so stressed about this, as how do I prove that I paid off the original credit agreement after this length of time?

The original dispute was over £45.96 and they claim it is £223.16 - what next? I have emailed them and told them what I have told you, but I doubt that this will help.

There is a principle at stake here - why should I pay again just because somebody plucks a sum of money out of the air and tells me I owe them?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:10 pm 
Distinguished Poster

I got a letter from Scotcall 4 months ago saying they were coming to my home and I was ready for them....they still havent been!

Ask for the origninal credit agreement and to my knowledge they cant chase you for a debt more than 6 years old, Wescott tried this with me and the kind peeps on this forum told me what to write to them (its was Ramesesqc I believe) and they wrote the debt off

Seems like someone hasnt inputted accounts correct at Northern Electric

Nilla x

Post subject: Scotcall etc
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:23 pm 
Forum Recruit

It seems strange to me that all these 'debts' that we paid off that have miraculously resurfaced all belong to companies that no longer exist ie Northern Electric Retail, Tiny Computers and British Gas Retail.

At the time, it seemed a great idea to end all our credit agreements early (and they were all paid IN FULL) but we never imagined having so many problems would be caused by the simple act of PAYING OUR AGREEMENTS OFF!!!

It seems that several years after that when we found ourselves at the opposite end of the money scale (due to my illness), we activated some kind of trigger with in the DCA field which told them that we were sitting targets...

I think the threat of them turning up is enough to make me uneasy (which in turn will aggravate my illness) Hope they can sleep at night as I certainly can't.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:56 pm 
100 Club

Firstly, write to Scotcall including the following in the body of your letter:

Quote:
Note that personal callers will neither be admitted nor spoken to. The Police will be called to remove nuisance callers and a complaint will be lodged with the relevant statutory authorities. I trust that I have made myself clear on this point. You communicate with me in writing or not at all.

Secondly, write to Aktiv Krapital using the following letter:

Quote:
I do not acknowledge ANY debt to your company. I require you to supply the following documentation before I will correspond further on this matter.

1. You must supply me with a true copy of the alleged agreement you refer to. This is my right under your obligation to supply a copy of the agreement under the legislation contained within s.78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 (s.77 (1) for fixed sum credit) - your obligation also extends to providing a statement of account. I enclose a £1 postal order in payment of the statutory fee, PO Serial Number xxxxx.

2. A signed true copy of the deed of assignment of the above referenced agreement that you allege exists.

3. You are notified that you are obliged to supply these documents, whether you are the original creditor or not under S189 of the CCA 1974.

Non-compliance with my request is a criminal offence under the above Act and will result in a report being submitted to the relevant statutory authorities.

As you are aware, a credit agreement that is not properly documented and signed by the customer is totally unenforceable under the CCA and therefore is a complete defence to any court claim that is issued.

Take note at this stage, that any legal action you may contemplate will be both vigorously defended and contested.

J. V. Stalin

Last edited by Skiannach on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:58 pm 
Distinguished Poster

Way to go Ski :-)

Nilla x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:12 pm 
200 Club

DO NOT PANIC.

I had many, many letters from scotcall.

They never turned up, apart from about 4 months ago,
when I was out! Mrs Johnny answered the door,
said 'I am not here'

He said thanks, when can i catch him in, she said anytime after 19:00hrs

never seen or heard since.

Remember :

DOORSTEP DEBT COLLECTORS ARE NOT BAILIFFS.

This bloke was very polite and nice (According to Mrs J)

Big J.

Post subject: Thanks for the advice
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:21 pm 
Forum Recruit

Hi

Thanks again for the reassurance.

It is just SO frustrating to have to deal with those people when you KNOW that you have paid an agreement in full. I am the first to admit that I do have some debts that have not been paid, but we are working to deal with them. Then you get kicked in the teeth being chased for those you DID pay...

I'll be going to the post office to purchase my postal order and then I'll keep my fingers crossed.

It helps to know that there are people out there who know how to deal with those people.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:24 pm 
200 Club

Resouces like this are critical to ensuring
that DCA's follow the rules.

Follow Ski's advice and letter and i assure
you that the issue will be sorted.

These damn people vermin. Chasing debts that
are barred or (in your case) bloody paid!!!!!

How's that for a kick in the teeth.

Anyway, Good luck, let us know how it pans out,
it's really good to know that the advice given is effective.

Big J.

Post subject: Scotcall
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:11 pm 
100 Club

Scotcall do have doorstep collectors, but the work is so crap (because of disputes, gone aways etc) that they have a huge number of areas which are uncovered! - Shame!!!!!

If someone turns up (which I doubt) then you can either deal with him as recommended above - and there is sod all they can do. As is correctly pointed out they are not bailiffs and have even fewer rights (well none to be precise!!).

What you would find if you were unlucky enough to get someone knock is that they would just return the account as a dispute. Scotcall are a firm of last resort collectors - i.e. the account has seriously been through the mill first - and therefore you will probably hear no more. They would just return the account to Activ Krapita as a dispute and job done.

Any probs please come back to me. I do have the MDs name if you need it!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 pm 
Distinguished Poster

I had a DC from Wescott/Logic and he was a freak undressed me all the time with his eyes, the last time he came I just said 'I am sorry but I wont deal with you anymore' and he went off in a huff with tail between legs

I used to be scared of DC's at the door but not anymore as they have no powers at all, they might spout they have but they havent

Nilla x

Post subject: Re: Scotcall etc
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:41 am 
Forum Recruit

Fedup wrote:
It seems strange to me that all these 'debts' that we paid off that have miraculously resurfaced all belong to companies that no longer exist ie Northern Electric Retail, Tiny Computers and British Gas Retail.

Police?? Had a T-Mobile bill turn up about 3-4 years ago for a fleet of phones (about 4) in my name totalling LOTS. Phoned TM who were quite good really and then I went straight to the Police. Actually I asked to see the original agreement as I wanted to catch the b*stards to see if I could track it down to any individual. Never heard another thing about it.

I doubt this is the case for you, but if it's possible then some greedy so-en-so will start doing this to a database of debtors if they can get money out of someone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:47 am 
Elite-Poster

Aktiv Kapital and Thames Credit are the same company. If they're chasing a debt that does not exist, then inform Trading Standards. Also see my post on Thames Credit

Post subject: Email response
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:24 am 
Forum Recruit

Hi

Much to my surprise, my email actually got a pleasant response from Scotcall (and only a few days after I sent it).

They said that they would not be following this up but returning it to their 'clients' who it turns out are now Cabot (not Aktiv Kapital or Clydesdale). It has now been through so many DCAs that surely if anyone thought the debt could possibly be valid, someone would have dealt with it by now.

I'll wait patiently for the letter from Cabot and will then send my little postal order off to them, as advised.

Thanks again, everyone!